Are you looking for a job that brings you pride and satisfaction while providing a stable income and excellent career prospects? If you relish the challenges and responsibilities that come with this role which is very much hands-on, to ensure that standard and quality of food production and hygiene at all times while maintaining a positive work attitude – then we are looking for you. The position offers excellent remuneration with attractive terms and conditions.
As an experienced and qualified Sous Chef your main responsibility will be to work alongside the Head Chef to manage daily kitchen activities, including overseeing staff, aiding with menu preparation, ensuring food quality and freshness, and monitoring ordering and stocking.
Responsibilities & Role Summary
- Leads kitchen team in chef’s absence
- Provides guidance to junior kitchen staff members, including, but not limited, to line cooking, food preparation, and dish plating
- Oversees and organizes kitchen stock and ingredients
- Ensures a first-in, first-out food rotation system and verifies all food products are properly dated and organized for quality assurance
- Keeps cooking stations stocked, especially before and during prime operation hours
- Trains new kitchen employees to restaurant and kitchen standards
- Manages food and product ordering by keeping detailed records and minimises waste, plus works with existing systems to improve waste reduction and manage budgetary concerns
- Supervises all food preparation and presentation to ensure quality and restaurant standards
- Works with head chef to maintain kitchen organization, staff ability, and training opportunities
- Verifies that food storage units all meet standards and are consistently well-managed
- Assists Head Chef with menu creation
Job Skills and Competencies
- Directs food preparation and collaborates with Head Chef.
- Produces high quality plates, including both design and taste.
- Oversees and supervises kitchen staff.
- Assists with menu planning, inventory, and management of supplies.
- Ensures that food is top quality and that kitchen is in good condition.
- Keeps stations clean and complies with food safety standards.
- Offers suggestions and creative ideas that can improve upon the kitchen’s performance.
- Trains new employees.
- Monitors and maintains kitchen equipment.
- Solves problems that arise and seizes control of issues in the kitchen.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Calm approach to stressful environments.
- Ability to manage budgets.
- Extensive knowledge of the hospitality and catering industry.